The Fountain of Mascherone, in its present form, dates back to 1853 but has existed in its current position since 1563. It is an arch type fountain with a single basin. It has one mask in the centre of the arch and two smaller side masks. The fountain, set against a high wall, is entirely made of lava stone and is topped by a large coat of arms of Caprarola between two cornucopias. For a time it was also called the Source.